Buffalo Bayou Park’s Grand Opening
[button url=”http://buffalobayou.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/BBP-Grand-Opening.pdf”]Download Event Map[/button]
Come celebrate, recreate and create at the Grand Opening of Buffalo Bayou Park on Saturday, October 3. For this FREE public event, BBP will highlight various destinations and amenities in the 160-acre park that stretches from Shepherd Drive to Sabine Street. Enjoy a day full of activities ranging from walking tours, lectures, children’s crafts, recreational opportunities, delicious food, live music and programming that will showcase Houston’s diverse arts community. The celebration will conclude with Confluence: A Journey in Five Movements, a site-specific illuminated procession designed by Processional Arts Workshop (PAW) of New York with fireworks following!
Buffalo Bayou Park is handicapped accessible, including trails and visitor centers.
– Check out our sponsors located at The Water Works and Eleanor Tinsley Park to learn more about their offerings and snag some freebies!
– We are so excited to officially “launch” paddle craft rentals from Bayou City Adventures (Lost Lake and Sabine Promenade) and bike rentals from Bike Barn (The Water Works).
– Don’t forget free pontoon boat rides on Spirit of the Bayou from 1:30 to 4 pm at Sabine Promenade. Limited seating.
– Tag your photos with #BuffaloBayouPark or @buffalobayou
Buffalo Bayou Partnership is also looking for event volunteers and processional volunteers to help at our grand opening. There are a variety of shift times and duties available. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old to participate. Sign up to volunteer!
If you have a group interested in volunteering on October 3, please contact Crystal Ortiz at email@example.com.
We strongly recommend using alternative transportation to get to the park. Walk or ride your bike and park it in BikeHouston’s bike valet (located at Sabine Street and Allen Parkway) and receive a free bike bell. Or ride the METRO Bus or Rail.
Street Closures – Saturday, October 3
10:00 am – 10:30 pm:
– Allen Parkway outbound between Bagby and Taft Street
– Sabine Street between Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive
– Allen Parkway exit ramp from I-45 North and South
12:00 pm – 10:30 pm:
– Allen Parkway outbound between Taft Street and Waugh Drive
Park Rules and Regulations
To ensure a safe and fun event, and to protect Buffalo Bayou Park:
– No glass containers or alcohol allowed in the park. Food and beverage will be available for purchase onsite through approved vendors and in approved areas.
– No umbrellas, weapons, unauthorized vending, sales, solicitations, or promotions.
– Please walk your bicycle along the hike/bike trails when approaching larger crowds.
– Smoking is prohibited in all City of Houston parks.
– Do not disturb wildlife or plantings.
– Please keep out of fountains and cascades.
– Read on for a full list of Buffalo Bayou Park Rules and Regulations.